Cybercriminals are constantly developing new and sophisticated ways to scam people. In 2023, it is more important than ever to be aware of the latest scams and how to protect yourself.
Here are some of the best ways to prevent being scammed by cybercriminals in 2023:
* **Be wary of unsolicited emails and text messages.** Phishing attacks are still one of the most common types of scams, and cybercriminals are getting better at making their emails and text messages look legitimate. If you receive an email or text message from someone you don't know, or if the message seems too good to be true, it probably is.
* **Do not click on links in emails or text messages.** If you are unsure about an email or text message, do not click on any links in the message. Instead, go to the website directly by typing the URL into your web browser.
* **Be careful about what information you share online.** Do not give out your personal information to anyone you don't know and trust. This includes your name, address, phone number, Social Security number, and credit card number.
* **Use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on all of your online accounts.** Strong passwords are at least 12 characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your accounts by requiring you to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password when you log in.
* **Keep your software up to date.** Software updates often include security patches that can help to protect you from known vulnerabilities. Make sure to install software updates as soon as they are available.
* **Use a reputable antivirus and anti-malware program.** An antivirus and anti-malware program can help to protect your computer from viruses, malware, and other threats. Make sure to update your antivirus and anti-malware program regularly.
In addition to the above tips, it is also important to be aware of the latest scams. Cybercriminals are constantly developing new scams, so it is important to stay informed. You can find information about the latest scams on the websites of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
If you think you have been scammed, it is important to report the scam to the FTC and the FBI. You can also report the scam to the company or organization that was impersonated in the scam.